Western Railway’s Ahmedabad Railway Station has been awarded the first Global Leadership-Platinum rating in Western Railway in the Green Railway Station category by the IGBC (Indian Green Building Council).
The Indian Green Building Council (IGBC) in collaboration with the Director of Environment, Indian Railways has developed a green railway station rating system to facilitate the adoption of green concepts, thereby reducing adverse environmental impacts of operation and maintenance of railway stations and providing an overall better environment for passengers.
The rating system helps reveal national priorities such as water conservation, waste management, energy efficiency, reduced use of fossil fuels, reduced reliance on raw material use, and consumer health and well-being. Ahmedabad Railway Station of Western Railway has been evaluated and given platinum rating:
IGBC Green Railway Station Rating is evaluated based on 6 environmental parameters. These parameters are (1) Sustainable Station Facility, (2) Health, Hygiene & Sanitation, (3) Energy Efficiency, (4) Water Efficiency, (5) Smart & Green Initiatives. Start-ups and (6) Innovation & Development.
Ahmedabad Railway Station boasts of being the 1st Platinum Rating Railway Station of Western Railway and 7th Platinum Rating Railway Station of Indian Railways, showing the responsibility towards their customers as well as their excellent union spirit by all the departments of Ahmedabad Division in all the above six dimensions.
03 different ways to come and go are made available for the users at Ahmedabad railway station. such as (1) pickup and drop lanes (2) auto lanes and (3) parking lanes.
(1) For the guidance of passengers, QR codes of the facilities available at the station have been installed by scanning which the passenger can get information about all the facilities available at the station and use them.
(2) Location information is made available in Braille for the guidance of our special disabled users. Ramp wheelchairs, lifts, portable ramps and automatic stairs are also provided.
(3) ATVM machines have been installed in UTS building. Solar panels have been installed on the roof of the platform and all electrical appliances are of 5 star rating and all lights have been replaced with LED lights.
(4) Keeping in mind the daily movement of more than 3 lakh passengers at Ahmedabad Railway Station, the station complex, roads, waiting rooms, offices, tracks are cleaned by machines to provide them with hygiene and a clean environment and the continuously generated waste is disposed of immediately. . In which cleaning is done in three shifts.
(5) Three types of dustbins have been provided at all places for waste disposal so that the waste generated from the station complex can be deposited in different dustbins on site itself. Various campaigns are conducted from time to time for the awareness of the passengers as well as awareness through announcement system. The entire station is equipped with 108 CCTV cameras to keep a close watch on cleaning as well as other activities.
(6) Along with this, waste generated from station complexes and trains are recycled into products such as bags, handkerchiefs, t-shirts, paver blocks etc. through which the waste can be properly disposed of and recycled, thereby minimizing carbon emissions. has reduced which has been appreciated by IGBC.
(7) Bottle crushing machines have been installed on every platform in the station complex whereby passengers themselves are contributing to this campaign by throwing plastic bottles into the crushing machine.
(8) Water is being saved by using recycled water for washing trains and gardening.
Chairman IGBC, Ahmedabad Mr. Sameer Sinha, Co-Chairman IGBC, Ahmedabad Mr. Jayesh Hariani, Deputy Director CII-IGBC Mr. Himanshu Shah, Mandal Rail Manager Mr. Tarun Jain, Upper Mandal Rail Manager Mr. Ananth Kumar, Senior Mandal Environment and Home Affairs Manager Shri ST Rathore and other railway officials and employees were present.