A DOG guru has revealed the exact steps you need to take in the event that your dog eats chocolate by accident.
The expert took to her social media account to share her knowledge with her 138,100 followers.
You need to take your dog to the vet if they eat chocolate[/caption]
There’s only one instance where you may not need to take your dog to the vet[/caption]
She explained: “There are tons of suggestions out there on what to do, such as giving your dog hydrogen peroxide and trying to induce vomiting.
“But the best thing you can do is bring your dog to the vet immediately.”
She went on to share the one instance where you don’t need to take your dog to the vet.
“The only time you don’t need to bring your dog to the vet is if they only had one single chocolate chip or if they consumed white chocolate,” TikTok user @pup_labs said.
This is because white chocolate doesn’t contain theobromine, which is the toxic ingredient for dogs in chocolate.
He said: “Dogs lack the enzyme that metabolises theobromine, which humans are able to easily metabolise when they eat it.
“If they [dogs] eat too much it can cause cardiac arrhythmias and death.
“Onset of symptoms occur between four and 24 hours and if eaten the maximum is 50mg per kilograms.”
According to The Kennel Club, the amount of chocolate that is poisonous to a dog depends on the type of chocolate they’ve eaten, how much they ate and the size of the dog.
“Darker and more expensive chocolates usually have more theobromine and are more likely to be harmful to dogs,” they wrote.
Dogs who are suffering from chocolate poisoning will most likely initially be sick and have stomach pain.
The toxin is a stimulant, which means it can cause your dog to become “excitable or develop muscle twitching, tremors, fitting or they may have a high heart rate”.
They added: “Other symptoms include drinking a lot, dribbling, not walking in a straight line and fast breathing.
“If enough chocolate is eaten then the effects can be severe or even fatal.”
While you should definitely call the vet and take the dog to them immediately, The Kennel Club advises against trying to make your dog sick.
“Do not try to make your dog sick yourself as this can sometimes make the situation worse,” they said.
Meanwhile, another vet has issued an urgent warning over a popular household item that could kill your furry friend.
And a dog expert has shared a warning over a common & dangerous plant for dogs to even touch… and it cost her £620 in vet bills.